At Top Hat Projects we let and manage furnished and unfurnished flats and houses. Please click on ‘Properties’ above to view a list of available properties, although our stock changes daily and you should contact us for current availability or to register your requirements. Please note that for your safety and peace of mind –

  • All of our managed properties are Gas Safe certificated, were installed.
  • All Tenancy Deposits (bonds) are held in accordance with The Housing (Tenancy Deposit Schemes) Order 2007 in the DPS Scheme.

Guide for Tenants

Finding a property
The first step is to contact us so we can make a note of your requirements about yourself and about the accommodation you require. It is wise to start looking up to 2 months before you wish to move, as the more sought after properties are viewed and reserved quickly. Our tenancies are Assured Shorthold Tenancies – from 1 week to 3 years.

We regret that we cannot assist DSS claimants at this time due to Landlords Mortage Insurers insisting on Professional Tenants only.

Viewings will be arranged at times to suit you, including evenings and weekends, and you will be accompanied by a member of staff, who can give advice and answer any questions you may have.

Reserving the Property
Once you have decided on a property, you will need to reserve it by paying a ‘Holding Deposit’ of equivalent to 1 weeks Rent. Assuming that the tenancy goes ahead, this will be deducted from the monies due before you move in. If the landlord declines to grant the tenancy without cause, it will be refunded. However, the deposit will be forfeited if you decide not to proceed for any reason, or if you fail to provide complete and accurate information in your application.

We will require satisfactory References which is done via a Professional Reference Company, Homelet, they will require information from your employer (or college), and a previous or current Landlord. We may also require a personal reference, and sometimes a guarantor. In addition a credit check will be undertaken.

Rents are normally quoted calendar monthly and payable monthly in advance via Standing Order. The Tenant is usually also responsible for Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas, Electricity and Telephone costs.

Other Services
Gardeners, Cleaners etc can be provided and negotiated separately.

A Security Deposit of a 5 week’s rental will be required. This Deposit will be treated in accordance with the Tenancy Deposit Protection regulations, and you will be informed of which protection scheme is utilised. The Deposit is held to cover damage, breakages, and any other liabilities under the terms of your tenancy agreement. Please note that under no circumstances can the Deposit be used by the Tenant to cover rent.

DPS Full Terms & Conditions

10 b DPS_custodial_terms_conditions_may2018v24_vc

Please see our List of Permitted Fees

Right to Rent identification (to be filled out in presence of Agent) All occupiers aged 18 and over must complete the attached form in the presence of the landlord or agent and provide proof of right to reside in the United Kingdom.

This proof must be either an original document from lists A(1) and B in ‘Code of practice on illegal immigrants and private rented accommodation for tenancies starting on or after 1 February 2016 or 2 original documents from list A(2) in the same guidance.

This document must be witnessed by the landlord or agent in person.

No tenancy will be executed until the necessary original documentation has been provided by all prospective occupiers aged 18 years or older.

Insurance for Tenants

As Introducers for HomeLet we are able to provide information on a variety of insurance policies for both Landlords and Tenants, including the following –

Up to your selected sum insured for damage to household furniture, equipment, furnishings, clothing and personal possessions whilst in your home (excludes business equipment).

Landlord’s Contents
Accidental damage to your Landlord’s contents, fixtures & fittings, for which you are responsible.

Personal Possessions
Up to your selected sum insured for loss or accidental damage to your Personal Possessions.

Further details are available on request.

Client Money Protection Certificates

CMP 2020 CMP 2